Automation Systems business line

In this section you can find more information on Automation Systems business line, such as key figures and market drivers. Automation Systems business line is part of the Automation-segment. See also the Valmet's Industrial Internet -video and the Automation Systems at a glance -video below.

The Automation Systems business line supplies and develops automation and information management systems, applications, products and services to companies in the pulp, board, tissue, paper, energy and other process industries, and marine. The main products and solutions are Distributed Control Systems (DCS), industrial applications, Quality Management Systems (QMS), analyzers and measurements, Industrial Internet solutions, and automation services. Valmet offers its automation systems lifetime compatibility and ongoing support, delivered with expertise for customers’ processes.

Valmet’s automation solutions are designed to maximize the profitability and sustainability of customers’ businesses by improving production performance, quality management and cost, energy and material efficiency. We have delivered nearly 5,000 automation systems and more than 100,000 analyzers and measurements. More than 1,200 power plants worldwide feature Valmet’s process automation. The business line employed more than 2,300 professionals in more than 30 countries at the end of 2023. The most important geographical market for the Automation Systems business line is EMEA, and the second largest area in terms of net sales is North America. Almost half the business consists of services. 

Approximately 20 percent of the business line’s net sales are generated when automation is sold as part of Valmet’s process technology project delivery. The remaining 80 percent are generated from solutions and services sold directly to customers.

Automation Systems business line was formed on April 1, 2015 as a result of the acquisition of Process Automation Systems business from Metso. Automation Systems has been consolidated into Valmet's financials since April 1, 2015. 

See also Automation Systems' presentation from Capital Markets Day 2023.

Key figures for 2023

Valmet Automation Systems in 2023


Valmet Automation Systems by business in 2023

Market drivers




Market position* and market share


Market size* and market growth


Market Drivers

Pulp & Paper  






~ EUR 2.1 bn

~ 3%


• Aging machines and installed automation systems
• Investments in new pulp and paper production lines and industrial decarbonization
• Demand for raw material savings, process efficiencies and sustainability
• Demand for Industrial Internet-based solutions driven by customer digitalization
Energy and Process  




*As in CMD 2023 materials